Friday, November 4, 2011

WHAT IS THANKSGIVING REALLY ALL ABOUT?

I know this is a loaded questions and one to which there may actually be no answer but here it is......

What is your idea of Thanksgiving?  By this I mean, what does it actually mean to you?  Is it just a day filled with food, family, festivities, fun, football, etc, etc, etc?  Oh yes, and don't forget Charlie Brown and company in Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade !

Or is there a deeper meaning for you? 

I'm stretching my memory here for my elementary school years, but I can still remember Ms. Bastinelli, Ms. Norris, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Garrison, and others at McKinley Elementary School teaching about Thanksgiving and it's meaning.  We learned about a group of religious dissidents who believed it was necessary to separate from the Church of England.  Persecuted in England, these "Separatists" moved to Holland in 1607/1608.  The group, joined by other colonists recruited by the venture's financial backers, began the move to America in 1620 upon the Mayflower, the first of four ships used in the crossing. 
We learned of their inititial hardships the first year.  During the first winter in the New World, the colonists suffered greatly from diseases like scurvy, lack of shelter, and general conditions onboard ship. Forty-five of the 102 emigrants died the first winter. Additional deaths during the first year meant that only 53 people were alive in November 1621 to celebrate the First Thanksgiving.  Of the 18 adult women, 13 died the first winter, while another died in May. Only four adult women were left alive for the Thanksgiving.  No women died aboard the ship, though a newborn baby and three men, including the captain, did.  Anyway, the event that Americans commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated to give thanks to God for guiding them safely to the New World.  The first Thanksgiving feast lasted 3 days, and provided enough food for 53 pilgrims and 90 Native Americans.  Some of the foods they ate at that celebration are still incorporated in one form or another, into our Thanksgiving dinners today such as:  corn, squash, duck, turkey, venison, berries and fruit, vegetables (peas, pumpkins, and potatoes). 

I say all that to say....I don't think we are properly teaching many of our children the real meaning of Thanksgiving.  I have had grandchildren come home from school on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving with a little drawing of a turkey or a pilgrim hat or an Indian feather, but you ask them to explain what Thanksgiving is all about and many of them go back to the holiday with family and friends and food.  Do you know of any children or young people that no matter how much they have, they just are not satisfied?  I have seen children rip open present after present on Christmas and instead of showing any real interest in what they have in front of them, they are looking for more.  There just seems to be something missing.....dare I say gratitude?

Gratitude is a simple act of showing appreciation and being thankful.  It doesn't take up a lot of our time or effort to be thankful so why is it that people are not showing appreciation for the things that they are receiving in life?

We often have the mentality that we ar entitled to little things in life.  This causes us to be ungrateful and think that things should happen in a certain way for us.  I thoroughly believe that people with this mind set will never be really happy no matter what they acquire, because they will feel they are always lacking.  A vicious cycle if you will....the more you have the more you want, the more you feel you are entitled to because someone else has it.  I guess being born poor (although we didn't realize it, because most of our friends were poor too) I have learned not only to be grateful, but to marvel at what I have in my life.  I'm sure not much by many standards, but abundance to me, because of what I see on cable televsion channels like Travel, National Geographic, A&E, and others every day in many third world countries.  Countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia where there is no clean water to drink.  Food is at a premium, sometimes totally dependent upon aid from other countries such as...wait for it...United States of America.  Some of our associates (I dare not call them friends) with ungrateful attitudes should wake up in one of these countries like Vic Morrow in the Twilight Zone Movie.  I'd be willing to bet if they made it back over here, they would look at what they had with a whole new perspective. 

No matter how bad some of the people in this country think things are, or how ungrateful they are for what they have, just think about the people that are dying - literally - everyday trying to get into this country.  They are swimming, digging underground tunnels, climbing fences, crossing deserts, you name it, they are trying it to get here for a better life, much like the pilgrims.  I bet you when they make it here, they know how and why they are celebrating.  So we make think it's broken, but we are living in one of the greatest nations in the world.  I used to say with pride "The Greatest" and I hope to soon be able to use that label again. 

Oh, you thought I wasn't going to talk about reading?  Come on now, you know me better than that!  Another thing I am thankful for is being able to go into a bookstore, a library, a trift store, a grocery store, an airport, the list goes on and on and on....and be able to pick up a book to buy, rent, borrow, trade.  There are still communist countries where even what you read or see on television or hear on radio is restricted to what the government wants you to read or see or hear.

Yes, my friends, I know what Thanksgiving is all about......comment with your point/counterpoints.  I eagerly await any and all debates. 

Oh yes, and enjoy your celebrations.  I have nothing against them, I am going to indulge myself.  I can hardly wait for my sister's pie.  I don't even care what kind of pie....mmmm mmmm mmmm!  But let us not forget the reason we are celebrating....

And in closing, some Thanksgiving reads:

Berne, Suzanne. Ghost at the Table
Thanksgiving at the New England home of the second of three sisters marks a reunion between the three Fiske sisters–including Cynthia, the youngest, an author writing a book about Mark Twain’s daughters–and their long-estranged father, in a portrait of the unraveling of a family, set against the famous nineteenth-century author’s own family dysfunction.

Bittle, Camilla. Dear Family
In this Massachusetts setting, Ed Beane loses his job in 1935, his wife, two children, and widowed mother must go to live with Dorothy’s mother on her farm, where they continue to support each other through a series of family celebrations.

Bowden, Susan. Bitter Harvest.
An estranged grandmother and granddaughter have a Thanksgiving reunion in this tale of romantic suspense.

Boyle, T. Coraghessan. The Tortilla Curtain.
Illegal Mexican immigrants clash through a series of coincidences with a wealthy Jewish family in California around the Thanksgiving holiday.

Cross, Amanda. A Trap for Fools
Kate Fansler Mystery

Davis, Krista. The Diva Runs Out of Thyme.
Determined to take down her childhood rival at the Stupendous Stuffing Shakedown, Sophie Winston instead finds herself accused of murder when her quest for basting the perfect turkey goes horribly wrong, in a mystery complete with tasty recipes and entertaining tips. Domestic Diva series; bk.1.

8 comments:

Marian said...

Thanksgiving (the holiday) means family to me. I am always thankful for my family and we make an effort to go to my little sister's house for the holiday as she is the only one who moved away. As far as being thankful, I try to live that always, I constantly remind my children about being thankful, and I hear the song by William Devaughn "Just Be Thankful" in my head quite often because it's a favorite, lol. Great post, Yvonne.

MsCros said...

Thank you Marian! Thanks for the song, as you can see it is now playing in the blog. I wanted to add one and this is perfect. Just Be Thankful!

Marcia said...

I love your Thanksgiving post, Yvonne. Your coments made me think of the glass half full and half empty concept. Those who see the glass as half empty only see what they don't have and can never get enough; those who see the glass as half full notice what they do have and,hopefully, are appreciative of that. I am thankful for what I have -- my family, my friends, and, yes even some material things. I thank God often for what he has given us -- the beautiful sky, the trees, the animals, and I thank him for the opportunity to enjoy this world. When I go camping and when I do a simple chore like walking the dog, I am amazed by the beauty around us that is free for the asking. I am thankful for all of this.

MsCros said...

Everyone is all set to leave comments...I opened the post to accept all,I just have to go in and approve them. If your name comes up as anonymous, please put your name in the comments so I'll know who you are. Thanks, Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Yvonne. I too love the Thanksgiving Holiday. Loving the 3 F's (family, friends and friends), but most important, the blessing of our Lord. I'm truly grateful for my family and friends. Over the years, I noticed that I'm truly happy when I see the out pouring and giving from the different organizations who mission is to feed the hungry, not only for Thanksgiving but throughout the year, not only in my city, state or even the USA, but countries all over the world.
As for gratitude, I think the family values are not there anymore. If grandparents and parents are not teaching values, how will the young one know. The kids do know, (I want, this is mine and can I have). Family don't go to church, pray or even on occasion eat together. Kathleen

MsCros said...

Amen,Kathleen. I feel the same way about the young people. It's more how much, how big, and how grandiose things in their lives are. They seem to have lost touch with the closeness we treasure....

As far as the mission field, I really loved being a part of that at my church in Illinois, especially this time of year. I haven't found a permanent church home here yet, but I plan to help at the little assembly I have been visiting for the past couple of months.

Anonymous said...

Yvonne, my comment above where I said 3 F's, the third one was suppose to be food.

I do volunteer for the Manna mission, who prepare and deliver food for the sick and their families. It is very rewarding and this will be my first Thanksgiving that I plan to participate with them. Last week we were downtown with our pep rally promoting their pies for donation for the holidays. Kathleen

MsCros said...

Hats off to you and the thousands of other volunteers that help make holidays special for families that have fell upon hard times...

Online Bookclubs

Online Bookclubs
New wave discussions